I am interested in the control and modulation of multi-joint dynamics. I am currently investigating the influence of pelvis morphology and neuromuscular control on the synergistic mechanics between the hip and lumbar spine. This work is an exploration of form and function that will probe the interdependent mechanics of the hip and lumbar spine and how they may be perturbed in the presence of femoroacetabular impingement syndrome.
Office Phone: (323) 442-2089
Office: Center for Health Professionals (CHP), G12
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada, MSc Kinesiology (Biomechanics), 2016
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada, BSc Kinesiology, 2014
Cannon, J., Weber, A.E., Park, S., Mayer, E.N., and Powers, C.M. (2020). Pathomechanics Underlying Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome: Theoretical Framework to Inform Clinical Practice. Physical Therapy, 100 (5), 788-797.DOI: 10.1093/ptj/pzz189
- Cannon, J., Cambridge, E.D.J. and McGill, S.M. (2019). Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury Mechanisms and the Kinetic Chain Linkage: The Effect of Proximal Joint Stiffness on Distal Knee Control during Bilateral Landings. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy,
49 (8), 601-610.
- Cannon, J., Emond, D. and McGill, S.M. (2016). Evidence on the Ability of a Pneumatic Decompression Belt to Restore Spinal Height Following an Acute Bout of Exercise. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 39 (4), 304-310.
- McGill, S.M., Frost, D., Lam, T., Finlay, T., Darby, K. and Cannon, J. (2015). Can fitness and movement quality prevent back injury in elite task force police officers? A 5-year longitudinal study. Ergonomics, 58 (10), 1682-1689.
Winner of the 2016 Liberty Mutual Award for Best Paper.
- McGill, S.M., Andersen, J.T. and Cannon, J. (2015). Muscle activity and spine load during anterior chain whole body linkage exercises: The body saw, hanging leg raise and walkout from a push up. Journal of Sports Sciences, 33 (4), 419-426.
- McGill, S.M., Cannon, J. and Andersen, J.T. (2014). Analysis of Pushing Exercises: Muscle activity and spine load while contrasting techniques on stable surfaces with a labile suspension strap training system. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 28 (1), 105-116.
- McGill, S.M., Cannon, J. and Andersen, J.T. (2014). Muscle activity and spine load during pulling exercises: Influence of stable and labile contact surfaces and technique coaching. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 24 (5), 652-665.
- Cannon, J. and Powers, C.M. The Influence of Gluteus Maximus Activation on Transverse Plane Hip Kinematics and Kinetics during a Deep Squat in Persons with Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome. XXVII Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics and 43rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics, Calgary, Canada, July 31 -August 4, 2019. Oral Presentation
- Straub, R., Barrack, A., Cannon, J. and Powers, C.M. Sagittal plane trunk orientation is a better predictor of the knee extensor moment during squatting than tibia orientation. XXVII Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics and 43rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics, Calgary, Canada, July 31 -August 4, 2019. Poster Presentation
- Barrack, A., Straub, R., Cannon, J. and Powers, C.M. The Influence of Trunk and Tibia Orientation on the Hip/Knee Extensor Moment Ratio during Squatting. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando, USA, May 28 – June 1, 2019. Poster Presentation
- McGill, S.M., Frost, D., Lam, T., Finlay, T., Darby, K. and Cannon, J. Can Fitness and Movement Quality Predict Back Injury in Elite Task Force Police Officers? Follow-up over a 5 year period. International Society for Study of the Lumbar Spine. San Francisco, USA, June 8-12, 2015. Poster Presentation
- Cannon, J., Cambridge E.D.J. and McGill, S.M. Residual Passive Stiffness of the Spine in Response to an Acute Bout of Core Training. Ontario Biomechanics Conference, Alliston, Ontario, March 13-15, 2015. Poster Presentation