My general research interests are in the areas of sports performance and injury prevention. My current research focuses on identifying movement patterns that increase the risk of injury to the lower extremity. More specifically, I am working on the development and validation of a movement-based screening assessment to evaluate an athlete’s readiness to return to sport following ACL reconstruction. The long-term goal of this line of research is to reduce re-injury in this population and to improve exercise interventions.
Office Phone: (323) 442-2089
Office: Center for Health Professionals (CHP), G12
- M.S. Biokinesiology (2013). University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- M.S. Exercise Physiology (2011). San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- M.S. Nutritional Sciences (2011). San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- B.A. Chemistry (2007). Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Della Villa F, Straub RK, Mandelbaum B, Powers CM. Psychological readiness to return to play after Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction: influence of quadriceps strength symmetry and injury mechanism. Submitted for publication
- Powers CM, Ghoddosi N, Straub RK, Khayambashi Hip strength predicts ankle sprains in male soccer players: a prospective study. J Athl Train. 2017 Nov;52(11):1048-1055.
- Khayambashi K, Ghoddosi N, Straub RK, Powers CM. Hip muscle strength predicts noncontact ACL injury in professional athletes: a prospective study. Am J Sports Med. 2016;44(2):355-361.
- Yiu-Ming W, Straub RK, Powers CM. The VMO:VL activation ratio while squatting with hip adduction is influenced by the choice of recording electrode. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2013;23(22):443-447.
- Straub RK, Cipriani DJ. Influence of infrapatellar and suprapatellar straps on quadriceps muscle activity and onset timing during the body-weight squat. J Strength Cond Res. 2012;26(7):1827-1837.
- Parry JS, Straub R, Cipriani DJ. Shoulder and back muscle activation during shoulder abduction and flexion using a bodyblade pro versus dumbbells. J Sport Rehabil; 2012;21:266-272.
- Marsh TG, Straub RK, Villalobos F, Hong MY. Soy protein supports cardiovascular health by downregulating hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase and sterol regulatory element-binding protein-2 and increasing antioxidant enzyme activity in rats with dextran sodium sulfate-induced mild systemic inflammation. Nutr Res. 2011;31(12):922-928.
- Mamonova T, Hespenheide B, Straub R, Thorpe MF, Kurnikova M. Protein flexibility using constraints from molecular dynamics simulations. Phys Biol. 2005;2(4):S137-147.
- Stellabotte F, Straub R. Weight Training Without Injury: Over 350 Step-by-Step Pictures Including What Not to Do! Walnut, CA: Regalis Publishing. 2016:1-294.
- Straub RK, Barrack AJ, Cannon J, Powers CM. Sagittal plane trunk orientation is a better predictor of the knee extensor moment during squatting than tibia orientation. International Society for Biomechanics, Calgary, Canada, July 2019. (Poster)
- Barrack AJ, Straub RK, Cannon J, Powers CM. The influence of trunk and tibia orientation on the Hip/Knee extensor moment ratio during squatting. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, June 2019. (Poster)
- Straub RK, Khayambashi K, Ghoddosi N, Powers CM. Hip muscle strength predicts lateral non-contact ankle sprains in male soccer players: a prospective study. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, June 2016. (Podium)
- Straub RK, Khayambashi K, Ghoddosi N, Powers CM. Hip muscle strength predicts non-contact ACL injury in male and female athletes: a prospective study. ACL Research Retreat VII, Greensboro, NC, March 2015. (Podium)