Beirut Explosion: Open Letter

To my dear friends from the School of Pharmacy at the University of Southern California,

A few weeks ago, you witnessed the tragic event that took place in Beirut which led to the death and injury of thousands of innocent Lebanese people, with some yet to be found under the rubble.

It saddens me to see my family and friends living in my native country still reeling from the shock and damage, with many losing their homes and loved ones, not to mention entire livelihoods.

I personally have lost a very dear friend and cousin of mine to this horrific event, one who was known by all his peers for embodying the true scouting spirit as a fellow member of the Lebanese Scouting Association. He then went on to become a commanding officer in the military and was posted at the scene of the explosion…The image of his body, now stripped of his heart-warming smile, still haunts me to this day.

And that is just one of many painful incidents the Lebanese people have had to endure as a result of losing their sons and daughters on that day. Even the wars which Lebanon has endured over the last decades pale in comparison to the destructive force that used my country as a theatre. I can only imagine the terror that would have consumed the country, having not been on the ground myself after I immigrated to the United States in 2017. Nonetheless, I am certain that such a wound will not heal for years to come…

As the reporter from Sky News said the day after the incident: “Lebanon will not be able to stand back on its feet by itself after such a shock”. It is therefore up to the international community and the kind-hearted people of this world to come to our rescue. For that reason, I ask if we, as an institution, could participate in numbing the pain of the Lebanese and preventing a country, which once used to be called the bride of the Middle East, from drowning in its own waters.

On behalf of myself and the Lebanese people, I appreciate you taking the time to listen to our plea and thank you in advance for your generosity, one which I have been fortunate enough to witness since I arrived to USC and which makes me proud for being a member of its staff.

Yours sincerely,
Ali Jouny

P.S. Donations can be made in kind, medical equipment, food etc…and I will personally share the details of the recipient NGOs who will ensure these get transferred to those who need it most.